The community at SLOCA has become such a cornerstone of the school that we have a motto to capture it - Semper Discentes. This is Latin, and means "always learning together."
We are a learning community. We learn with our children, we have learned through the starting of a school, we learn from our mistakes and our successes, we learn how to parent together, we learn about perseverance and kindness and communication. If you are looking for a perfect community, you won't find it at SLO Classical Academy. We are just a bunch of real people, looking to make a difference in the lives of our students, our community, and yes, even our world. Not perfect, but alive.
The reason this community sprang up is because SLO Classical Academy was founded on a collaboration between the school and the home - this school is the strong, incredible educational institution it is because of the pooled effort of amazing staff, faculty and parents. We continue to be committed to, and reliant upon, strong collaboration between the school and the parents. The effectiveness of these collaborative relationships is dependent upon all parties working together.
While we shoot to have high standards, SLO Classical Academy is also founded by real people with strengths and weaknesses, successes and failures, joys and mistakes. Striving for both excellence and grace in our partnerships, we have laid out guidelines to assist in this process.
SLO Classical Academy staff will:
- Provide a dynamic, classical education as defined by its mission, goals, and core values
- Provide quality classroom experience and instruction, and planning for home school days
- Provide opportunities for individualization of assignments and experience
- Provide enrichment opportunities for students throughout the week
- Provide ongoing education for parents in both classical education and home school topics
- Solicit feedback opportunities from parents and students
- Encourage parent-to-parent support
- Be available to meet with parents to work through questions, concerns, ideas, etc.
- Commit to learning and growing professionally as a school and staff
- Utilize a team approach to leadership and decision-making
- Support and model the Code of Conduct
- Provide a safe school environment
- Provide a positive, helpful staff and experience in the office
Parents at SLO Classical Academy will:
- Partner with teachers in the completion of core subject assignments and individualization of the assigned work
- Actively participate in learning alongside students
- Choose and oversee home subjects
- Read all communication from the school, including teacher grids & narratives, Weekly Updates, emails and handouts placed in family files
- Provide constructive feedback to the SLOCA staff
- Serve as role models with adherence to the Code of Conduct
- Support of the school publicly
- Pursue understanding of our model of education
- Trust the leadership and teams behind decisions. Ask for clarification when you have questions or concerns